Thursday, April 19, 2007

Self-Measurement, Self-Understanding, and Realism




This week I had the students do still life. I wanted them to lower their zealousness and really pay attention to negative and positive spaces in their art. My goal was not to have them create but project what they see into their canvas. This is associated to hand and eye coordination. Sometimes it’s very good to work with realism because that is what a good artist is measured by. In order to do abstract you have to start with a strong foundation of realism. The reason why we did not have realism in the groups was because of the scarcity in time. Nevertheless, I wanted the students to at least undergo this concept.


I have the utmost appreciation for this group. The fact that they all admitted to needing help was a good step for them because they are then able open up themselves as a student. I also had a good appreciation for the group because they seemed like they were always prepared to learn and do what ever it takes to improve or grow. Everyone knows that when you start to see things that could improve and you go about achieving that, you get steps closer to a better understanding which leads to perfection. This concept is not necessarily for art only, but life in general. Nevertheless, I have a great appreciation for all the groups because they went above and beyond my expectations for them within this short amount of time. I have seen many diverse techniques, colors, forms, freedom, knowledge, feelings, joys, ideas, concepts, passions, and powers in this project. From my perspective, all these elements combined gives growth and brings their art into different and innovative levels.


When I was watching them leave it hit me hard that I probably was not going to have opportunities to work with them again after May 2nd. I had shared with them a part of my self that was personal as well as the measure of love I have for art. It was humorous because this made me feel like they were walking out of the door with my heart on their backs in place of a backpack. This gave me an idea for my next painting though.

1 comment:

  1. Eyob,

    Are you familior with persian art? have you seen the motifs , art works or art history?

    ReplyDelete