Thursday, January 19, 2012

Vandalism: A Painting Reborn


After Caravaggio, by Eyob Mergia, © 2012

I received a phone call several weeks ago with the news that one my pieces, which had been displayed in a church, had been vandalized. Someone had slashed it with a knife, and the damage was irreparable. I was surprised and saddened to hear that someone would do that. Anyone would feel the same upon hearing that a piece of his or her work had been destroyed in that way. An artist works to inspire his audience, and to move them to create and work in their own way. Doesn't every artist hope and expect that his or her artwork will inspire people to create and work in a positive way, and not to destroy?

One of the reasons I did this painting in the first place was that several years ago I studied the use of dark tones in painting. It was very important to me to paint darker figures in darker compositions, and to learn and develop the techniques used by the Renaissance painters. I often include elements of three excellent painters: Caravaggio, Henry Tanner, and Peter Paul Rubens. Even as a child I loved the works of those painters. In most of their work they use radical naturalist and realist styles which combine a close physical observation with dynamic, even theatrical, approach to chiaroscuro, which is the art term for the dramatic use of light and shadow. A close study of realistic painting is a very good foundation for abstract painting.

So in the end, I have repainted the painting that was destroyed.  The church wanted to have me paint it again, and I was happy to oblige.

     

Click to enlarge

7 comments:

  1. It's sad to learn that there are idiots like that right here where I live. I'm sure it wasn't any reflection on your art. The vandals were too stupid to know what they were looking at. But I was actually wondering if you tried to repaint it just the way it was or were you tempted to change things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eyob, I am so sorry to hear someone would do that to one of your paintings. I can't imagine what kind of person would destroy not only your hard work but also something inside a church. That person's karma will catch up to them soon. I hope all is well with you. Feven

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM, sankofa wrote:

    Melkam Kin,
    Greetings Eyob. I just had a chance to check my email, I am so sorry for your loss. You are right, Henry Tanner is brilliant at illumination.I will have to look up the other names you listed, thank you. One of my dreams is to master that style. I love, just love the new work that you have.
    I am inspired by the recreation of the painting that was cut. You know what is funny? It's just as beautiful with the slash in it.
    I am sure no words I could say with my limited knowledge could mend the damage done to your heart by one of your creations being violated, so I will just say...It's sometimes better the second time around. It is good to know that as a teacher you are setting a wonderful example for us, your students.
    Love and paint.
    sankofa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is heartbreaking. Eyobeyie.. I am very sorry for your loss.
    Any fingerprints or did they not bother to check? They should find the vandal and break their fingers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi eyob. I am so sorry to hear about your painting. I know how much u love ur paintings. More than anything. But do not sad because u got a lot to show the world. I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Eyob,
    I'm sorry about this painting. I displayed an original painting to expose art students to it and it too was slashed one day. Maybe you do some obvious "surgery" on it and make it a teaching piece. It now has time, story & social comment engraved on it.

    ReplyDelete