Saturday, June 18, 2011

Las Vegas, The Boulevard at Night

The painting that I've been working on, The Boulevard at Night, is my first expression of my experience of Las Vegas. The ideas have been stirring in my head for some time, and finally I've started painting. I'm expressing the color, the night life, the mood of the city, the essence of the beauty. The reflections especially call out for oil paint, and watercolors, to be expressed graphically. There is very wide scope for the imagination.

6 X 6'  in four panels

My goal is to take these realities into the abstract form, carrying the audience with me into a new way of seeing the things around them. In visiting art galleries around Las Vegas, I have seen a lot of art (and some exceptional sculpture) and I'm looking forward to contributing my own abstract voice to the artistic expression of the city. All abstract art comes from the realistic world, and the degree of abstraction and the strength of expression comes from what is inside.

At the same time, we don't want to abstract so far that we lose touch with the real, because that is the only connection we have with the audience. The artist is responsible to carry the people along with him as he creates his experimental art, so they can see where he's going.  It's like you're bringing them aboard your boat and sailing with them to your world.  People need to be able to see themselves in your work. Realistic painting may represent one person's perspective, but abstract art has the capacity to communicate universally.

I'm going to be working with some galleries in California and Las Vegas throughout this year. I'm developing a project about the Boulevard into a large exhibit for later this year.  Keep watching the blog for more updates on this project.

6 comments:

  1. Eyob: sounds like a fun, exciting concept & Project. Love the way you push the limits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeahhhhh! It's like a combination. Great colors...I love the way it moves up: bright to dark. The birds are beautiful. Mommy also says nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have captured my experience on the Las Vegas strip at night. The crowds on the street, the fantastic buildings and the lights were all part of it but the night sky reminded you that you were outside. Using the cranes as a counterpoint to the man-made glitz really balances the composition. I see your work at the 8th and Railroad Center among other places so I get a chance to study your style often. Good Luck with your projects,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LIKE YUR ART WORK GOOD JOB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eyob...love your explanation of abstraction. Your work is fantastic as always. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete