Thursday, March 1, 2007

Swing






This painting was inspired by a friend of mine from the country side. Her family was moving to a big city and wanted a painting that reminded them of their home. We went to the country side to see how I could capture these memories.
I did one painting about them and then another one about her. She grew up in the country side. It was a stunning time I had with her.
The name "Swing" comes from the swinging she was doing when she was telling me of her country childhood memories. As I was listening to her I was looking at her and seeing her as a butterfly, bird, dandelion and more generally an important component in this universe.
A challenging part of this painting was creating the motion-like-curve of the swing as I was combining the 3 dimensional ideas into one. I took it!
One of the funniest things was, when I was doing this painting I observed not the painting itself but my color palette. I had an unusual amount of fun mixing the colors. In Edvard Munch's painting "Scream" . He made the echo of the women's scream have a unique relationship with her background which is defined by sound and figure. For some reason I was thinking about him and how it relates to my painting. It made me chuckle because in my painting there was a similar relationship like that which is defined by Bird and Butterfly.
This painting was done by the end of 2005 and in a collection in Mitchell.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the e-mail. I hope to be able to attend your show.
    I enjoyed reading about The Swing. You can be sure that I dearly love "your child" and will treat her with tender loving care. I hope to see you again soon. Donna

    ReplyDelete